Extended Submission Deadline: August 7, 2017
Connexion Artist-Run Centre is calling for project proposals for the presentation of contemporary arts during this year’s Harvest Jazz and Blues Festival. The festival will be hosted from September 12 – 17 in Fredericton, NB, offering 400+ musical performances over the course of 6 days.
Selected projects will be presented during the festival’s street closure, as the prospective presentation site, located in Fredericton’s downtown core, a map of the festival can be found here. (The street closure area is highlighted in purple.)
We acknowledge that the festival takes place on the traditional unceded territory of the Wolastoqiyik (Maliseet) and Mi’kmaq peoples.
This opportunity is open to local, national and international artists working in any medium, discipline or professional level. Given the logistical nature of presenting projects in public, street-level spaces during a music festival, a preference will be given by the selections committee to video, sonic, interactive, temporary, performance-based, or site-specific installation projects. Projects considering the context of the community, exploring experimental and emerging ideas, discussing issues of social urgency, and presenting diverse perspectives and lived experiences, are welcome.
How to apply:
Email the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with “HARVEST 2017 PROPOSAL” as the subject line. Supporting materials can be uploaded via a cloud storage site (dropbox, google drive, etc.) within a single folder, with a direct sharing link to the folder, clearly indicated in the body of the email.
- A text document, video or audio file (cellphone and computer recordings are accepted) containing a short artist bio, between 100 – 300 words, and description of the project, between 200 – 500 words. Please select the format that is most accessible to the applicant. Please save text documents as a .pdf file.
Tell us WHAT is the project, WHY are you developing or have developed this project, WHERE you would like to display this project, HOW will you display this project.Please specify if there are any special technical requirements or safety concerns involved with your project.
- 6 images of work, no larger than 1500 x 1500 px, at 72 dpi. Files title “artist_title_medium_dimensions_year”. For video and audio examples, please use web links in the body of the email.
- Artist CV
- Website and list of relevant social media or web links (5 links max)
About Connexion ARC
Connexion ARC (Artist-run Centre for Contemporary Art) is a not-for-profit, charitable, artist-run centre mandated to present, develop and promote contemporary art in Fredericton, New Brunswick.
Connexion currently operates in a flexible manner without a fixed location. In building strategic partnerships with collaborating businesses, organizations and institutions, we are activating new spaces for public engagement with contemporary arts. We present critically-rigorous, equitable, and diverse programming by emphasizing conversation and exchange within our expanding community of artists, curators, partners, collaborators, and international visitors.
Connexion ARC is mandated to:
- Promote experimental contemporary art practices, with an emphasis on emerging artists and issues of social urgency.
- Support the professional development of its artist-membership.
- Function as a supportive, open, and equitable space for the discussion of contemporary art.
- Function in a generative, responsive, and flexible manner, mirroring the experimental nature of contemporary art.
Connexion remunerates artists based on the CARFAC fee schedule for the presentation of work during the Harvest Jazz and Blues Festival. Support for travel, lodging or meal assistance for artists may be available, with funds pending.
Connexion will gladly provide letters of invitation to visiting artists by request, as assistance in accessing individual funds provided by federal funding bodies and respective provincial arts boards. We may also assist with finding lodging for visiting artists through Connexion’s membership network, who may volunteer as billets.
Additional technical support may be provided on a project-by-project basis, by request of the artist.