Artists working in all mediums are invited to submit project proposals for new or continued artistic and curatorial productions for the 2018 edition of Art Kitchen, taking place on November 28, 2018. Students, individuals, and collaborative groups are welcome to apply. The selected artist(s) will receive a community-funded material support grant and an exhibition opportunity with Connexion ARC, in partnership with FLOURISH Festival in April 2019.
Proposal Deadline: November 9, 2018, 5:00 pm
HOW TO APPLY:
Not yet a member? Visit: https://connexionarc.org/become-a-member/
To apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org with “ART KITCHEN 2018” as the subject line.
Please attach the following support materials or include weblinks in the body of your email. Support material can be provided in the form of PDF text documents, video, or audio files; you may select the format that is most accessible to you. Please include your name (or your collective’s name) and project title in all filenames.
Answer any of the following, as applicable:
- Tell us about yourself. Who are you? Where are you situated? What is your practice? What informs your practice? What are your previous projects, exhibitions, or experiences? What medium(s) do you use? Have you received arts education, or are you self-trained? What are your processes, working methodologies, ways of seeing and knowing?
- Include a CV and/or artist bio, if relevant.
- Tell us why you are developing this project. What is the project’s intention? What do you hope to achieve? What materials does it involve? Who does your project speak to?
- Tell us how you will display this project. How will you display your finished work? Where would you like to display the project? Will it be a time-based event (i.e. a performance or screening), or installed in a space for a length of time? Are there any special technical requirements? Are there safety concerns involved with your project, including triggering materials?
If relevant to your submission, include any of the following, up to 10 total items:
- Images of work or relevant supporting material. Please include images no larger than 1500 x 1500 px. For images containing work, please title the files “artist_title_medium_dimensions_year”.
- Links to video or audio files (YouTube, Soundcloud, Google Drive, Dropbox etc.)
- Other relevant online material including web-based works, social media, or online publications.
What is the Selection Process?
Four applicants will be selected by a peer jury of Connexion members, who will evaluate submissions based on artistic merit and compatibility with Connexion’s programming vision. Shortlisted applicants will be notified of their application by November 12. They will be invited to speak about their proposed project during Art Kitchen, a communal meal that generates independent funding to support artistic and curatorial development.
As part of the evening’s programming, participants will have 10 minutes to informally talk about their project, followed by a Q&A period. Attendees will then be given a ballot to vote for one project, and the selected artist will receive the Art Kitchen grant funds.
What is Art Kitchen?
Art Kitchen is a radically transparent and participatory approach to arts funding. Connexion ARC partners with local establishments and invites a guest chef to prepare a delicious soup using locally-sourced ingredients. This meal is served family-style and tickets are sold for $20 per person. Each patron is given one ballot to vote for one of four art projects they would like to see happen in Fredericton, NB. A popular vote determines the grant recipient. The selected recipient will receive a grant from the evening’s profits, providing a local artist or curator with unbureaucratic funding for artistic creation, research, and experimentation.
When is Art Kitchen?
Join us on Wednesday November 28, 2018 at 6:30pm in the Charlotte Street Arts Centre auditorium.
6:30pm Opening remarks
7pm Soup is served.
7 – 8pm Guest chef, local collaborators, and the artists will present their creative projects.
8:30pm Grant recipient is announced
How does an Art Kitchen grant work?
After the evening’s event, the ballots are counted and an artist is selected. The selected recipient will be contacted within one week, and will receive 100% of the grant upfront. The selected recipient agrees to complete their project within four months, after the grant is awarded. After the funded project is completed, it will be displayed in an art space facilitated by Connexion ARC in partnership with FLOURISH Festival, taking place April 18-22, 2019.
Why should I apply?
Art Kitchen is a method of arts funding that draws from entrepreneurial and grassroots strategies to generate funds for new, emerging, and newly professionalized artists and curators. Art Kitchen encourages communities to engage in the processes of art making and local patronage, as a radically transparent and inclusive fundraiser.
For emerging artists and curators, applying for an Art Kitchen grant is a simple and unbureaucratic method to receive immediate support for a new or continuing project. The initiative approaches arts funding by working outside of possible granting barriers. As an artist-run organization, Connexion ARC seeks to foster the growth of contemporary artists in its membership.
Where can my friends buy tickets?
Event tickets go on sale November 2 at the Connexion ARC offices (Charlotte Street Arts Centre room 129/130, Mon-Thurs 12-6pm) and online at http://www.connexionarc.org.
Art Kitchen is inspired by inCUBATE Chicago.
To receive our newsletter and be notified of future events and programming, please sign up for our mailing list and follow us on Facebook and Instagram. For further inquiries, please email email@example.com.